Monday, March 30, 2009

Has Work Given You a New Phone Recently?

It is now possible to buy over the counter, a mobile which functions as a bug in the pocket of the user. 'Spycatcher of Knightsbridge' are pleased to offer 'Interceptor Software with a nokia phone included'. Coming in a range of models, in addition to operating as a normal phone, their model will:


Alert you when the phone is switched on, via SMS, so that you can see the number in the phone no matter how often it is changed.


Alert you when ever a phone call is made or received by the phone, via SMS, and will also show the number of other party.


Send you a copy of any text message sent or received by the phone, via SMS as well as the other persons number.


If you dial the phone from a pre-defined number it will open the microphone, without the holder knowing, so that you can hear room conversations, from anywhere in the world.


If you dial the phone from a pre-defined number when it is being used for a phone call you will actually intercept both sides of that conversation and be able to hear the everything that is being said.


You can remotely change the pre-defined number as much as you like, by a discreet SMS.


You can turn each function on and off as much as you like, by a discreet SMS



When my phone is not in my pocket, its on the table by bed and I am asleep. If someone were to dupe me into using one of these phones, they would have 24 hour coverage of all that I do. That really would be the death of privacy.

At the end of the day I'm not all that worried about someone going to the effort (and expense - the phone comes with a price tag of £1437:50) of spying on my every movements. But there's still plenty of room for paranoia here - this is a software application and one can only presume that access to it is going to become more widespread over time. Now what I want to know is what does someone have to do to put this software on my phone: how close am I to my phone being a bug?

No comments:

Post a Comment